Saturday, November 24, 2012

3D Paper Snowflakes& Gift Wrap Ideas

I am so excited to post about these beautiful 3D paper snowflakes! They are so easy to make but look so complicated! People will be amazed you made them!!! 
Here is all you will need:
  • 6 square pieces of paper, regular paper not to thick
  • a pair of scissors 
  • pencil and ruler
  • tape, hot glue, or stapler
  • *OPTIONAL* paint
  • *OPTIONAL* Sparkle Mod Podge

You will start off with 6 square pieces of paper. The size of square will determine the size of your snowflake. 
Fold the paper in half to make a triangle. You want to measure/draw out three lines as pictured below.
*Links to printable below
 You want to erase the center because it it very important that you leave a little space between connections!
 After doing a little research I found an AWESOME blog called Ellinee Journal and Lia has done all of the work for us by creating a free printables of this pattern!!!
Click on the size of snowflake that you want: LARGE, MEDIUM, SMALL!

 Once your lines are drawn(printed out), you can make this more of a project with your children by letting them paint on the blank side of the square. I just gave my kids a bunch of different shades of blue paint and Qtips as paint brushes. They loved painting with Qtips and it was great because they didn't get gobbs of paint on the paper! I told them to keep it thin!
 Another optional step but one that makes it look SO PRETTY is, after the painted side dried, I gave it a thin coat of Sparkle Mod Podge! If you have never used SPARKLE Mod Podge before you are missing out!!! It is SO much better than adding messy glitter to a project and it covers the surface in beautiful sparkles! The pictures don't do it justice....The second one kind of shows off the shine!
   
 Let it dry...it only talkes a few minutes...then fold and cut on your lines! When you open it up, this is what it will look like!
   
 Since I was already using Mod Podge, I also used it to do this next step in place of glue or tape. Roll the first two innermost paper lines together to form a tube. Then tape or glue together. If you are using Mod Podge, you only need a tiny drop between the sheets and it just takes a minute to dry and hold!
Then flip your paper over and repeat to the next set of lines, and repeat two more times until it looks like the picture on the right!
   
 Once you have all six squares done you are going to connect them. I took three at at time and I used hot glue because it's fast and easy! You can also use tape or a stapler for this step! Connect all three at the bottom and then at one place on the side.
   
 Then connect the three and three together!
   
 So simple and so beautiful! This 3D snowflake will bring a bit of winter magic into your home! Hang it from the ceiling or tape it to the walls!
You can also use fun sheets of christmas scrapbook paper and use that instead of painting one side!

 Also, you can make these in a smaller version to add beauty and charm to the wrapping of a special Christmas present, instead of a bow!
 On the topic of Gift Wrap, I thought I would give you a few more fun ideas using paper for embellishing your Christmas gifts! Hope they help you get creative when wrapping presents for your loved ones this year!

Cupcake Paper Carnations
Accordion Fold Christmas Tree
Cute Polar Bear With Tag
Dove
BIG Newspaper Bow
Paper Pinecones
Paint Sample Gift Tags

5 comments:

  1. Those snowflakes are gorgeous!I would LOVE to try and make these with my daughters. They love to paint and these would be perfect for little kids because you aren't painting anything in particular. This really is the best kind of project for my little one. She is only 17 months and can easily smear paint all over the paper. I kind of like how there is only color on one side of the paper. All of our Christmas decorations are blue, silver and white so these will fit in perfectly!

    Oh, and I've never seen sparkle Modge Podge. I need to take a trip to Michael's or Hobby Lobby now. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, when I checked out at hobby lobby craft store, the girl was like "WHAT I've never seen SPARKLE before!" yeah, its so much fun! I just love Mod Podge!

      Delete
  2. I just love that snowflake. We'll be making our own soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! Just to let you know that I linked to this post from my own blog here:
    http://craftulate.blogspot.com/2013/01/snowflake-ornament-from-childs-artwork.html

    Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great Georgina! I'm glad you tried out the snowflake and what a fun idea to use your child's artwork that you already have saved from the many times painting/drawing/coloring! =)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...