Thursday, May 10, 2012

Summer Grilled Cheese

OH MY GOODNESS! This sandwich is to DIE for!!!! I saw this a few years ago on an Oprah episode. Her best friend Gail was driving all around checking out signature food! I wished I could remember what restaurant served this Grilled Cheese sandwich because I would LOVE to taste it one day straight from them but I'm happy I remembered the ingredients! This makes a perfect lunch or dinner on a beautiful Summer day, where you can get some of the ingredients FRESH from the garden! 

Here is what you need:
  • Sourdough Bread (I used Multigrain Sourdough from Trader Joe's)
  • Havarti Cheese (I love how CREAMY this cheese is but you can sub if you have another favorite)
  • Sliced Tomatos
  • Fresh Basil
  • Secret ingredient HONEY
  • (Optional) If you are a meat lover...the boys add Ham to the sandwich 

 I had a little helper to make the sandwiches last night! All you do is layer the cheese, tomato, and basil on one side of the bread. If you add ham just make sure the cheese is the first thing touching one side of the bread. Then add your honey all over the inside of the other piece of bread and top the sandwich. Cook on stovetop in a pan or on a griddle... I like to butter the outside of the bread.
Yummy!!!

I just wanted to add something fun to this! We went Strawberry picking two days ago and our Farm Fresh Strawberries were SO YUMMY paired with this sandwich! Also, the basil we used was from our home garden... If you don't grow anything else at your home, Basil and Rosemary are a must.... They are so easy to grow and you can use them in many different recipes! 
  
If you end up making this, let me know what you think in the comments! My 6 year old son said to me last night after he ate his whole sandwich, "Yummmmm...I want you to make these everyday!"

2 comments:

  1. Oh, wow...this looks so good. I never would have thought to put honey in it! My favorite new thing right now is a pizza they have at our favorite pizza place. It's a whole-wheat crust with no sauce--just sliced tomatoes--covered with mozzarella and basil. It's the best pizza I've ever had.

    And at home, I can't wait for my basil to be big enough to eat! Mmmm.
    Mia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Honey really is the secret... It is just so different and SOOOO good!!!
      And oh my goodness, I love the taste of fresh basil! My kids won't really eat it straight but
      they love it in this sandwich!
      I have been spoiled with how well my basil is growing! I pick a few leaves
      everyday to put on top of my lunch salad.
      Hopefully yours comes in soon!
      So much fun to enjoy it fresh and such a sense of accomplishment one little
      plant can bring!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...